Wednesday 28 November 2012

"Just Another Love Story" (Scene 9)


The Love Letter:

That evening, I couldn’t get over the thoughts of Meghana. I had seen something special for me in her eyes today. I knew I shouldn’t delay any further and talk to her. I was still not completely sure how I was going to tell “The” matter. For, I was not scared or less in confidence, but, every time I see her, I run out words, and start behaving like a kid seeing a box full of chocolate candy. I knew if I decide to talk to her I will fail this time too, hence, I had to look for a different method. I didn’t have her phone number yet, and hence, the option of sms was not there. I didn’t get any idea.  I kept thinking.

It was 8 P.M and it was time for some Daily soap that my mom watched regularly.  She was sitting on the sofa. When at home, I sit on the floor and if mom is on the sofa, I rest my head on her lap and just look at her enjoy her program. I could hear the sound from the TV behind me. I usually enjoy the program more when I hear only the voice from the TV and the expressions come on my Moms face. I always feel relaxed on her lap.

After some ten minutes, Mom’s facial expressions were changing. Someone who was smiling was now serious. I knew something serious was on it her program, I enjoyed this bit too. This was the time, my mom would sit free and be herself and do something to keep her entertained. Otherwise it’s about her husband and kids for her always.

I ignore her seriousness for some time, but, then she started commenting on what she was seeing,

Mom: “There is nothing but this in TV now. “

I was surprised.  I didn’t understand what she was commenting on exactly. So, I turned towards the TV to see what it was. In the program, a college going guy was handing over a love letter to a girl. The girl received it and smiled at him, and they fall in love, blah blah. Mom somehow didn’t like it.

Mom: “Look at that guy, not even a proper moustache has started to grow on his face and he is giving letters to girls.”

I felt as she was telling this to me. Unknowingly, my hand moved to my moustache and I was looking at moms face. She looked at me and I gave me a light slap.

Mom: “Son, what happened?”

Recovering, I said: “Nothing. Why are you asking? “

Mom (continuing where she left earlier): “And what kind of a girl she is.?”

Me (shocked): “Who Maa?”

Mom: “This Meghana.”

Me: “Meg..Meghana?!!Who?”

Mom: “Arre..That girl in the serial. Who received that Letter? What kind of a girl she is? How can she do it? What will her parents feel if they come to know? They send these people to college to study and they plan to make a family.”

I went speechless and looked at mom. But, then, knowing my mom, I said,

Me: “Amma, it’s just a serial. Why do you take it so seriously? Why do you watch these things and spoil your mood? Give me the remote. Let me see if there is some comedy program is there.”

Mom: “No No... No need of any comedies. Today I need to watch these serials. Today Chandrika is getting married to Vijay. I hope Ramesh doesn’t create trouble.”

Me: “Chandrika? Vijay? Ramesh? Who are these people??”

Mom: “These are the people in the next serial. Don’t disturb me now. Let me watch it.”
Me (Smiling): “Amma!!! You watch your serials. I will not disturb. Call me when it’s time for dinner. I will be in my room”

I got up from there and came into my bedroom. I was thinking about the lines mom told about the Meghana and the guy who gave her the letter. I was not worried or something, because, I knew my mom and she will not say no, If I tell her I am in love someday.

Because of the love letter scene, I now had an Idea. Why not I write a letter to Meghana? That will mean I could express whatever I have in my heart without looking like an idiot. Yes, I should write a letter.

I grabbed a pen and an A4 sheet paper. I didn’t know what to write and where to start. It took me 10 minutes to start writing.

Letter:

“Hi Meghana,

I am not sure how you will react to this letter and I don’t know if it’s appropriate from my part, but, some things that I wanted to tell you directly I am writing here as every time I approach you to tell that, I fail.  I don’t know if you remember the first day to college, and that rain. But, as far as I am concerned, that day was very special. That day I lost myself under that rain. It was the day I saw you for the first time.

I had never before felt the way I felt that day.  Let me tell you, I fell for you the first time I saw you. I knew nothing about you then, but, now I want to know more about you. I had been following you since, without you even noticing that.  I am not sure if you even remember me properly and are able to recall my face, for it has been just few days since the first time we met and you wouldn’t have noticed me.
Yesterday, I felt as if you were looking at me, but, I am not sure if it was actually that, or if you were looking at someone else. Once you left from there, I looked for you but, didn’t see you. I wanted to talk to you and when I saw you walking out of the chapel, I was preparing myself to talk to you. But, like every time, I was interrupted, and this time in the form of Karishma. Karishma, she is my ex-class mate and nothing more than that. Probably, yesterday was the first time we spoke. I sat with her, because you were there. All I wanted was to talk to you.

Finally, it would be not right if I tell you I like you. Because, I don’t just like but, I Love you. You might not believe in this kind of Love, but, what to do? I am helpless now.

I don’t really expect a positive reply from you. But, any reply would be good. Let me know if we can talk.

Akash.”

It took me really long to write a small letter.  I kept the paper in one of my books and came out to the living room. Was a bit relaxed thinking that finally I am going to express my love to Meghana. When I came out, mom was sitting on the sofa and staring at me.

Me: “What happened Amma? Your serial is over?”

Mom: “Yes long back. What do you think the time is? What were you doing so long? I called you for dinner so many times.”

Me: “You called me?”

And I looked at the wall clock. And it was 11:05 PM. I was there in my room for almost 2:30 hours and didn’t realize that. I didn’t even hear mom calling me for dinner.

Mom: “yes. I did. What were you doing so long without even responding to my call?”

Me: ummm…a...Assignment...I was writing my assignment. I am hungry now. Give me dinner Amma.“

Mom (smiling) : “OK…was your hands and come I will serve you dinner.”

No comments:

Post a Comment